Ultimate Jungle Expedition - Exploring the Unknown
UKHammocks Ultimate Jungle Expedition 5th - 16th November 2018
Nothing feeds the mind like tales of true adventure. Learning to survive on a remote tropical island will test your mental and physical fortitude... The sea surrounds you on all sides, without the ability to tame your new environment your prospects of survival are dwindling... Why not join our expert team in the Andaman sea on the west coast of Malaysia and let us show you how to turn your dire future around, and build an incredibly rich and diverse understanding of wilderness living on a remote tropical island.
For 2018 we are launching a totally new concept for expedition vacation, we are combining our 2 stand alone trips, the “Nomadic Borneo” and the “Desert Island” expeditions, by bringing them together we have been able to focus on the fundamental aspects of expedition travel and open up a far more diverse expedition.
We will RV on the beautiful archipelago islands of Langkawi, set off the west coast of Malaysia/Thailand. An area famed for its natural beauty, incredible jungle and simply stunning coastlines.
Upon your arrival we will meet in a local hostel (Tokkman inn) and from here we will brief you on the usual “ways of the jungle”, give full safety briefings and examine your kit.
Next we will be collecting food supplies from a local supermarket, discussing the foods that work and those required to ensure your diet is balanced and packed with the right sources of energy. That evening we will be heading by road to the north west of the island, a truly untouched wilderness comprising of epic mountains and dense coastal jungle.
We will follow the contours of this magical landscape, hand railing the valleys and river systems, mountain ridges and summits to navigate around the coast, this 4 day trek will be incredible, testing your jungle skills and the durability of your equipment and your mental fortitude. There has never been a commercial expedition in this area of jungle, aside from the handful of Orang Asli that may of traveled here for hunting and gathering you will be the very first to enter this untamed wilderness.
Once we reach our exfiltration site we will be collected by boat, travelling around the coastline back to civilisation. Heading back into town for a well earned shower, meal and overnight in the hostel. The next day we will take a days R&R taking a dive boat to the diving nature park with our friends Scuba Club Langkawi, where we can enjoy a few reef/wreck dives (Try Dives for those who have not dived before / snorkelling for those who don’t want to dive)
Fully rested and prepared we will start our next phase, again transiting by small private boat, we will head due west to our small secluded island beach looking at the blank horizon of the Andaman sea.
Here we will perfect your desert island living skills, fishing, foraging and craft skills.
Spending your days exploring the beautiful reef off the beach, fishing from beach and boat for your food and even some free diving to forage the seabed.
By night we will relax on the beach, BBQ and watch the darkness fall on our own spot of paradise sat around the fire.
As you can see we have a definitive split in this trip, a testing yet rewarding start, closing out with a relaxing break on a desert island allowing you to completely chill out.
The remote island phase is fully catered by our team, supplemented by your fishing and foraging.
We can naturally make some runs to the mainland to obtain some “refreshments”
Dates - 5th - 16th November 2018
We advise you arrive on or before the 4th as we aim to be in the jungle on the 5th to maximise our time under canopy.
Flights usually transit via Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.
Langkawi is an externally friendly and cheap destination meaning you can extend your stay for a minimum cost allowing you to acclimatise prior and decompress from your trip afterwards.
Whats Provided by UKHammocks
- Fully Insured Wilderness Guiding
- Vehicle and Boat Transfers for expedition phases
- Food on Island Phase
- Accommodation as laid out in Itinerary
- Diving Day
- Pre deployment help and advise
Whats Not Provided by Us
- All Flights
- Personal Insurance
- Equipment as per the Kit List
- Airport Transfer (around £3)
- Accommodation outside of those provided (aprox £8 PP Per Night based on 2 sharing)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Food for Trek Phase
- Any costs incurred for late arrival/departure
What you need to do before you go....
- Firstly you will need to book your place on the Expedition the Non Refundable Deposit of £500 is to be paid to secure your place. Total cost of this trip is an amazing £1200. Payment can be made by checking out on this page, calling the UKhammocks office on +447495010271, by Bacs or requesting a PayPal invoice via Mat@ukhammocks.co.uk.
- You will need to book your Flights, Arriving into Langkawi airport no later than 0930 on the 5th November and departing no earlier than 1300 on the 16th November Flights are currently £560.00 - and can be booked via Edreams (our cheapest found)
- You will need to acquire the items off the kit list; the great thing about jungle travel is you need to work on a lightweight system so there are not too many things that you should need to obtain.
- Book your Travel insurance; please make sure it will cover you for the Expedition, we advise Insure and Go for your basic cover and Battleface for your evacuation cover.
- You will need to Visit your GP and Dentist to ensure you are fully fit and vaccinated for Malaysia ; they will be able to advise you on all needed vaccines, a process often overlooked however a basic health check can give you time to remedy any ailments prior to departure.
- Some wilderness knowledge is needed for this trip. A good base level of fitness is also required, we advise you to partake in some physical training and body conditioning prior to the trip, you will be expected to carry your own equipment, food and water for the trip, typically this is around 15-18kg over distances of around 4-6 miles on some days, the jungle is not flat, it has gruelling steep ridges and the terrain is relentlessly slippy and uneven.
- It is a good idea to get out in your hammock system, have a look at your set up and if you have any questions call the UKhammocks team (+447495010271) or email me on Mat@ukhammocks.co.uk and we will be more than happy to discuss your personal systems in detail
- Fill out and return the NOK form, Personal information sheet and Medical questionnaire.
- Let us have your thoughts... What do you want from the expedition? What are your goals? We can help you to achieve them!